5 Tips for Doing Your First Family Portrait Session
Whether it's a Holiday Session or time for updated family photos,the reason why you're here right now is because you want to seal these moments in life forever. It's not "just photos" to you; it's about the next generation and sharing the love you have for each other through your family photo session. So where do you start? Well, guess what, I'm here to help you get ready for your session so you and your family can have the best experience.
1. Trust Your Photographer When you book a photographer for your family heirloom session it needs to be someone you trust and get along with. Why? Because you not only need to be comfortable as adults, but if you have children they need to be comfortable with the person behind the camera. The photographer knows that they need to get down on the level of your child or children; so it's important for your family (the little ones) to like them as well.
2. Choosing Your Outfits When choosing your outfits for your session, think about two things: comfort and location. For your location, this will be discussed in advance between you and your photographer. From there, pick outfits that go with that environment. You don't have to be a family of twins (outfit wise), but you can simply say within a certain color scheme.
3. Rest & Stay Hydrated Make sure you get enough sleep for your session. Crankiness comes with not sleeping enough before your session. If you're having an early morning session then make enough time to have breakfast. Stay hydrated and make sure that the kiddos have a snack with them. It's best for the parents to bring a snack as opposed to the photographer to avoid any exposure to food allergies.
4. Have Fun You will find that it is important for you to have fun during this session. Don't treat it like a mandatory chore. This is a precious moment that will carry on for generations to come, so enjoy it!
5. Selecting Photos & Prints After your session is done, your gallery will be sent to you with your final images. You will receive a link to submit and/or download your final images which is the perfect time to grab your significant other to choose the images you want together. Next, you'll order your Album or prints. I strongly recommend getting an album of your session (let the photographer choose the best shots - they are experienced) or 20x24 Canvas print. Some of my clients purchase an album and a canvas print.
So, are you ready for your family session? Here's more information about Unashamed Imaging's Family Heirloom Sessions. I would love to capture your family heirloom session. Below are some the Frequently Asked Questions of my Couples: 1. What if we don’t know what to do in front of the camera? During a portrait session, I will absolutely help guide you. My only expectation for you is trust me, have fun, be open to the ideas that I have, have fun, laugh, and smile (because you look so good doing it)! While posing is incorporated, you'll never feel like every shot we take is stiff. I actually help you to feel comfortable with a pose and then I let you put a spin on it (to make sure you're comfortable). 2.How will you edit my pictures? My editing style is definitely film inspired. I love light and airy feeling I produce, but I also make sure you look natural. After all, I want you to show off your images so my style of shooting will compliment your home. 3. Can we have the raw/unedited images too? While I would love to do this, I would never ask a Baker for the broken egg shells and the empty can that had the frosting for my cake in it. So, the simple answer is no. After your session, I spend time combing through the pictures and sorting them. Images that are just not usable are simply discarded. While I will never hold good pictures hostage from you, my job is to curate the most beautiful way to tell your story. 4.How will i receive my images? Your images will be delivered electronically via an online gallery. The gallery is password protected so any person looking to access the images must have the secured password. This is the quickest way for me to get the images to you. As soon as I finish editing I can load the images to the gallery and send you the link and password. From your gallery, you can download all the images directly to your computer. 5. Can i have my pictures on a usb? If you would like a USB of your images made by Unashamed Imaging, you can purchase it a' la carte. 6. When will we receive our images? Your full gallery will be available within 4 weeks from your session. Rush delivery is available for an additional charge which guarantees your images are delivered within just 3 days! 7. Can I print my pictures on my own? Absolutely. While it is recommended that you have your images professionally printed through your gallery, you are welcome to have prints made on your own through a lab of your choice. To book your session and reserve your date I require a signed contract and a 50% non-refundable retainer. *All images featured in this post are images taken by Unashamed Imaging